Monday 20 October 2014

A meeting of minds



Writing Head wanders onto an empty stage clutching a pen and notepad.   
Improv Head bounds on clutching an imaginary picnic hamper.

Improv Head: Hi. Fantastic day for a picnic in this beautiful park. I’m Mel.
Writing Head: But that's my name, too. 
IH: Wow. That’s awesome, isn’t it?
WH: No. It’s terrible.
IH: You're blocking me.
WH: Yes, but it’s far too much of a coincidence.
IH: It worked for Shakespeare.
WH: Yes, but he gave his identical characters different names. It’ll be confusing   
having identical Mels.
IH: Hey. Enough of the ‘yes but’ crap. Audiences love this kind of stuff.
WH: Audiences? (Starts trembling and turns to stare out into the darkened theatre).
IH: Nice emotional response, Mel.  Now, what don’t you like about audiences?
WH: They give me a funny feeling in my stomach.
IH: Name it.
WH: A sort of swirly, churny sensation.
IH: Name it.
WH: I’m terrified.
IH: Great. Now let’s raise the emotional stakes.
WH: I mean what if my characters aren’t believable?
IH: Good. Keep escalating.
WH: Or the point of view is all wrong?
IH: Don’t back away.
WH: Or they find my style derivative and clichéd?
IH: You're killing me. I’m looking for a last line.
WH: WHAT IF THEY HATE WHAT I’VE WRITTEN?
IH: And, "scene"! (Exits).
WH starts scribbling on her notepad
IH: (Returns to the stage) What are you doing?
WH: I’m writing that down. 
IH: You can’t do that. I called "scene". It's finished.
WH: Yes, and it’s just what I’ve been looking for.
IH: Yes, but the whole point of making up this stuff is its in the moment-ness.
WH: ‘In the moment-ness’?
IH: Okay, okay. So you’re the writer. 
WH: (Continues to write in notepad.) ‘In the moment-ness.’ (Laughs to herself).
IH: (Tries to grab the notepad). Hey, you can't just steal that line. 
I mean, if I knew you were going to write it down, I'd have thought about it a bit more.
WH: Yes, but I love it.
IH: Yes, AND I love it.
WH: Oh, shut up with all the 'yes, and' stuff. You're doing my head in.
IH: Is that your last line?
WH: I'm going to brain you in a minute.
IH: Or is that it? You know, I think I preferred the last one..
Improv Head and Writing Head exit still bickering.



1 comment:

  1. Brill Melanie, thank youxxx
    I have action head & prevarication head!!!!!!
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete